Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Beware of the 3G Scam

> An incident experienced at Vadinar by one of our employees in the recent
> past is narrated below for your information and care .
>
> I cannot stop myself from sharing this with all of you.
>
> It's all started when I received a call from someone claiming that he was
> from my mobile service provider and he asked me to shutdown my phone for 2
> hours for 3G update to take place. As I was rushing for a meeting, I did
> not question and shutdown my cell phone. After 45 minutes I felt very
> suspicious since the caller did not even introduce his name. I quickly
> turned on my cell phone and I received several calls from my family members
> and the others were from the number that had called me earlier - 3954380.
>
> I called my parents and I was shocked that they sounded very worried asking
> me whether I am safe. My parents told me that they had received a call from
> someone claiming that they had me with them and asking for money to let me
> free. The call was so real and my parents even heard 'my voice' crying out
> loud asking for help. My parent was at the bank waiting for next call to
> proceed for money transfer. I told my parents that I am safe and asked them
> to lodge a police report. Right after that I received another call from the
> guy asking me to shutdown my cell phone for another 1 hour which I refused
> to do and hung up. They keep calling my cell phone until the battery had
> run down. I myself lodged a police report and I was informed by the officer
> that there were many such scams reported. MOST of the cases reported that
> the victim had already transferred the money! And it is Impossible to get
> back the money.
>
> Be careful as this kind of scam might happen to any of us!!! Those guys are
> so professional and very convincing during calls. If you are asked to shut
> down your cell phone for updates by the service provider, ASK AROUND! Your
> family or friends might receive the same call. Be Safe and Stay Alert!
> Please pass around to your family and friends!
>

No comments: